Monument record MDR1825 - Stone cross, Foolow Green, Foolow
Type and Period (1)
- CROSS (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1400 AD to 1900 AD)
SK 1908 768 : FOOLOW, STONE CROSS An ancient stone cross stands on the village green of Foolow. It was 'restored in modern times' (4). (1,4). [SK 19087680] Cross. (2). Scheduled. (5) Descheduled in 1995. (7). An old bullring [SMR 5804] is fixed at the foot of the cross steps; the original site was not ascertained. (5) Village Cross. Grade II listed cross, dating from the 15th century and restored in 1868. It was constructed of stone and has a stepped square plinth. It also has a rock-faced square base with chamfered top and spurred corners. Above this is a tapering shaft topped by an elaborate Celtic type cross with short side arms and a fleureed rounded top. Between the arms is a cusped circle with pierced spandrels. To the west side, is a central raised cross with raised Maltese crosses to either side on the arms. (8). Visited by Ranger G. Allen on the 17th January 1992.
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 379.
- <2> SDR11740 Map: OS County Series. 1922. 1:25000 Derbyshire.
- <3> SDR706 Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. 1961. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. 31.
- <4> SDR7134 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1961. 'Scheduled Ancient Monuments', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 81. pp 136-137.
- <5> SDR6319 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 20-JAN-66.
- <6> SDR10473 Index: NDAT. 0943. 0943.
- <7> SDR18857 Unpublished document: English Heritage. 1995. Descheduling notification.
- <8> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
|Grid reference||SK 1908 7680 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||FOOLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 13 2013 3:49PM