Monument record MDR1833 - Roman Road, Brough to Carsington/Derby - possible route through Hazelbadge parish
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Possible Roman road: Brough to Great Hucklow. For further details see SK 18 SE 48 and SMR 99034. (1) Joins SMR 6334 to south, and 14708 (Wardlow) beyond that whilst continuing north to Brough as SMR 2627. (2) *Note that SK18 SE48 which looks as though it should be the same as SMR2627 has not been supplied in the database by RCHME! SK 1750 8042 - Bradwell Hills, a section was cut across the apparent Roman Road at this point by P. Wroe. (3) This road was investigated by Wroe and Mellor in 1974, when five small trenches were dug across it. Due to these excavations never being fully published, it is still uncertain where the road ran. Barnatt suggests that the road through this area ran much closer to Hazlebadge Farm [see illustration]. He believes this is the case as the route postulated by Wroe would have had to cross at least four steep sided gullys. There are no holloways that cut the gully sides which would have been necessary for the road to follow this line. Barnatt suggests the road was actually slightly to the west as this is much flatter ground. (4)
- <1> SDR9370 Bibliographic reference: NAR Linear Record.
- <2> SDR13972 Index: SMR Mainframe.
- <3> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 2395.
- <4> SDR20388 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1991. Quarters Farm, Hazlebadge, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1991. No.2, p 1.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1761 8011 (437m by 1948m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HAZLEBADGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 31 2017 3:10PM