An earthen bank centred on SK 1960 7613 was interpreted as a possible medieval township boundary bank. (1)
This feature is between 5m and 6m wide and embanked between 0.8m and 1.5m high. It is not a township boundary, but rather the original route of a section of the Chesterfield to Hernstone Lane Head turnpike road established by Act of Parliament in 1759 [although the road itself may well be earlier - see also SMR 14710]. A diversion was made a short distance to the north sometime after 1840 and before 1880 (based on historic map evidence), in order to lessen the gradient of the road. (2)
Unpublished document: Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2004. Land at Housley, Eyam, Derbyshire, archaeological field survey, upland option, 2004. p 2, Feature 1.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1964 7612 (464m by 172m) (Linear)
EYAM, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 22 2012 2:28PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.