Monument record MDR1860 - Grange, Grindlow and Great Hucklow
Type and Period (1)
- GRANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
SK 18 77: GRINDLOW, GRANGE. Grangia de Grenlow mentioned in 1339, with a chapel, from Lilleshall Abbey. (1-3). Grindlow Grange belonged to the parent house of Lilleshall Abbey (Augustinian). There are no visual earthwork remains. (4). As the location of Grindlow Grange is unknown, the point has been removed from the map. (5).
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 112.
- <2> SDR5940 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part I. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXVII.. p 105.
- <3> SDR10693 Index: NDAT. 3048. 3048.
- <4> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500.
- <5> SDR20034 Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||SK 18 77 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT HUCKLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||GRINDLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2015 3:56PM