Listed Building record MDR1873 - Hammerton Hall Farm, Curzon Farm, Litton
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE (Georgian to 21st Century - 1768 AD to 2050 AD)
Dated 1768, the farmhouse has a segmental pediment to the doorway and an arched window above it. It retains other 3-light mullioned windows. (1) Hammerton Hall Farmhouse is a vernacular building dated to 1768 as indicated by date stone. (2) Note that the date 1768 is not inscribed on a stone but on two rain gutters on the street-facing side of the building. The complex was included in the Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project (MPD12000): Hammerton Hall Farm, Litton. Extant 18th century farmstead. The farmstead is formed of a regular courtyard of U-plan and additional detached elements to the main plan. The farmhouse is attached to the agricultural range. The site is located within or in association to a village. All the traditional buildings remain extant. (3-4) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 17 NE PARISH OF LITTON THE GREEN 1/62 (South Side) 12.7.67 Hammerton Hall Farmhouse GV II Farmhouse. Dated 1768. Coursed limestone with gritstone dressings and quoins. Moulded eaves band. Stone slate roof and stone coped gables with moulded kneelers. Two stone gable end stacks. Two storeys. North elevation of three bays, plus an extension to east. Central doorway with moulded stone surround and bracketed segmental pediment. Flanked on each side by 3-light square section flush mullion windows. First floor has central round-headed window with impost blocks and keystone, flanked on each side by 3-light square section flush mullion windows. Two cast iron rainwater heads dated 1768. C19 extension to east with rustication to north elevation, rock-faced to ground floor. Doorway with plank door and window with single bar sash. Listing NGR: SK1637775132.' (5)
- <1> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. 264-265.
- <2> SDR23380 Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
- <3> SDR23696 Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
- <4> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1158861.
|Grid reference||SK 16377 75132 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LITTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 30 2018 11:04AM