Monument record MDR1910 - Butterton Cross (remains of), Meadow Lane, Tideswell
Type and Period (1)
- WAYSIDE CROSS ? (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- None recorded
'Butterton Cross (Remains of)' is shown on the 3rd ed 25" OS map on the west side of Meadow Lane at approximately SK1485 7483. (1) A wayside or boundary cross base on Millers Dale-Tideswell old road is locally known as the Butterton Cross and is built into a dry wall on the left side. (2) Published survey (25") correct. See G.P. AO/65/97/6. (3) Possibly medieval in date. (4)
- <1> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR7695 Article in serial: Tudor, T. 1935. 'Minor monuments and lesser antiquities in Derbyshire, 1935', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. pp 80-87. p 80.
- <3> SDR6065 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 08-DEC-65.
- <4> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1894.
|Grid reference||SK 1485 7483 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TIDESWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2016 10:22AM