Monument record MDR1918 - ?Barrow, Kirk Low, Tideswell
Type and Period (1)
- BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
[Area SK 140 742] (2) Kirk Low, near Tideswell, listed as a barrow. (1). A barrow could not be found. (2). Site of a barrow suggested by T. Bateman which may have been suggested on place name evidence only. There are low amorphous mounds on the hilltop but these are probably natural. There is no convincing barrow at this location. (5,6).
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 292.
- <2> SDR15311 Map: 1844. Tithe Map & appointments, Tideswell.
- <3> SDR6062 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 07-JAN-66.
- <4> SDR14131 Index: NDAT. 1892. 1892.
- <5> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 26.
- <6> SDR20377 Unpublished document: Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2003. Meadow Farm, Tideswell, Foolow and Grindlow, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, upland option, 2003. No. 32, p 7.
|Grid reference||SK 140 742 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TIDESWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 7 2008 1:16PM