SK 014 759: Erwood, Road (AP Mark): Continuation of road called The Street from the modern route and into Fernilee reservoir. (1).
The present walled lane, known as 'The Street' or 'Embridge Causeway', has traditionally been claimed as a Roman Road. It is clearly the line of a traditional routeway, as redundant hollow way braids, some deep, exist to either side for much of its length. Before the reservoir was built, it ran from a ford and the packhorse bridge at Goytsbridge, where it continues eastwards. Westwards it ran to the ridgetop an alterative branch ran to Oldgate Nick. While the route probably has medieval origins, used as a salt way (4), the suggestion that it is the course of a Roman Road (4), has not been substantiated. An alterative postulated route, following the 1759 turnpike from Buxton to Macclesfield (5), is probably even less likely, as this appears to be a new road with no associated braiding. There is no evidence that a roman road ever ran westwards from Buxton and this should not be assumed to have existed. (3).
The first documentary use of the name 'The Street' was in 1415. It appears to have been recognised as roman in 1789 by James Pilkington and he traced the road from Pikehall to Buxton as it was still in use. Further on from this he surmised it ran towards Lombard's Green where Roman coins had been found. The Street probably started at Little Chester, traces have been observed between Allestree and Kirk Ireton. It probably passed through Carsington and Hopton Hall and this general line of road leads directly into a length of roman road identified by Wroe and Mellor north of Brassington at Street Knolls. The line leads into the well known section of The Street at Minninglow. South of Minninglow by Arbor Low is the prehistoric trackway which was modified by the Romans into this road. It then forms a parish boundary. It passes through Pikehall as referred to in a document dated 1313 and Benty Grange and converges on the modern Ashbourne to Buxton road (A515). The road then leads to Harpur Hill until it reaches Buxton. (4).
Aerial Photograph: 1972. AP: Derbys. C. C. Survey: 10. AP 17_931.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1994. The Goyt Valley, Hartington Upper Quarter, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1994. 148. Feature 31, p 18.
Bibliographic reference: Dodd, A & Dodd, E. 1980. Peakland Roads and Trackways. pp 24-31.
Article in serial: Wroe, P. 1982. 'Roman roads in the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 102, pp 49-73. pp 54-56.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 002 761 (1842m by 1146m) (Centre)
HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 11 2015 2:19PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.