Monument record MDR1920 - ?Barrow, Nay Low, off Monksdale Lane, Tideswell
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
[Area SK 143747] Neeley Close. Nealow (1) (1,2,5). Nay Low, near Tideswell, listed as a barrow. (5). [SK 1433 7473 & SK 14377475] Possible barrows. (4). A barrow was not located. The only mounds in the area, including those seen on the aerial photographs, are industrial. (6). It is likely that Bateman postulated a barrow at 'Nay Low' on place name evidence only, which is probably invalid as the place name 'low' can mean hill as well as barrow. (7).
- <1> SDR5903 Bibliographic reference: 1821. Enclosure Act.
- <2> SDR15316 Map: 1844. Tithe Map & Apportionment, Tideswell.
- <3> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 293.
- <4> SDR681 Aerial Photograph: 1948. AP: 2598/4106-7.
- <5> SDR5940 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part I. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXVII.. p 174.
- <6> SDR6065 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 08-DEC-65.
- <7> SDR20378 Unpublished document: Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2003. Heathy Grange Farm, Tideswell, Wheston and Litton, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 2003. No. 43, p 8.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 142 745 (230m by 417m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TIDESWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2016 10:22AM