SK 126 719. Village complex adjacent to present village of Blackwell. (Listed under "medieval and modern"). [Centred SK127 719 - see authority 1]. (3). Amorphous earthworks indicative of shrinkage. Not surveyed. (4).
Shrunken village, although the evidence is visibly poor and it is mostly ploughed out. The earliest documentary evidence of the village is from 1086. (6).
Extensive and well-preserved earthworks include platforms which are likely sites for buildings, boundary banks and lynchets. Many of these features are probably medieval in date and represent the shrunken village of Blackwell. Some of the boundary features were still in use in 1631, but all were abandoned by 1825. The village has pre-Norman origins, being first recorded in Domesday Book as a berwick of the manor of Ashford (2). At the height of the development of the village, presumably the 12th to 13th centuries, it is unknown how many dwellings existed. Some contraction had taken place by 1631, but further reduction continued after 1631, as the 12 dwellings had been reduced to six to eight by 1825. Between 1631 and 1825 the surrounding field boundaries were radically changed which may suggest a change of use. (7).
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 126 719 (289m by 270m) (Centre)
BLACKWELL IN THE PEAK, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2015 4:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.