Monument record MDR1926 - Shrunken village, 90m south of Crossroads Farm, Blackwell
Type and Period (1)
- SHRUNKEN VILLAGE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
SK 126 719. Village complex adjacent to present village of Blackwell. (Listed under "medieval and modern"). [Centred SK127 719 - see authority 1]. (3). Amorphous earthworks indicative of shrinkage. Not surveyed. (4). Shrunken village, although the evidence is visibly poor and it is mostly ploughed out. The earliest documentary evidence of the village is from 1086. (6). Extensive and well-preserved earthworks include platforms which are likely sites for buildings, boundary banks and lynchets. Many of these features are probably medieval in date and represent the shrunken village of Blackwell. Some of the boundary features were still in use in 1631, but all were abandoned by 1825. The village has pre-Norman origins, being first recorded in Domesday Book as a berwick of the manor of Ashford (2). At the height of the development of the village, presumably the 12th to 13th centuries, it is unknown how many dwellings existed. Some contraction had taken place by 1631, but further reduction continued after 1631, as the 12 dwellings had been reduced to six to eight by 1825. Between 1631 and 1825 the surrounding field boundaries were radically changed which may suggest a change of use. (7).
- <1> SDR1190 Aerial Photograph: 1948. AP: 2598/4161-2.
- <2> SDR5940 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part I. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXVII.. p46.
- <3> SDR5699 Article in serial: Butcher, L & James, C (East Midlands Committee of Field Archaeologists). 1962. East Midlands Archaeological Bulletin, 1962. No. 7.
- <4> SDR6062 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 07-JAN-66.
- <5> SDR14006 Index: NDAT. 0356. 0356.
- <6> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p128.
- <7> SDR20340 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1992. Crossroads Farm, Blackwell, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1992. No.2, p1.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 126 719 (289m by 270m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BLACKWELL IN THE PEAK, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2015 4:01PM