Monument record MDR1927 - Romano-British settlement, The Burrs, Chelmorton
Type and Period (1)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
SK 106 715: Romano-British farmstead complex with adjacent small field (of Blackwell) [SMR 1704]. Derbyshire and Samian Ware pottery and gritstone disc-quern fragments were found. [The settlement is clearly visible on air photographs - CPE/UK 2598/4163-4. 16 Apr. '48]. (1) Foundations of walls and buildings centred SK 106 714. Surveyed at 1/2500. (2) The Burrs, Chelmorton. On limestone, dry valley bottom. Orthostat walls built of earth and stone, now up to one and a half feet high. Level rectangular platforms about 10yds wide. Rough pasture. Derbyshire ware and samian found on the surface. Survey notes by L H Butcher in Sheffield City Museum. (5) The Burrs, altitude 304m, area 6ha. A village site, situated above the River Wye. It lies in a low valley cut into a broad shelf below the high plateau and consists of a complex of small enclosures and crofts of varying size and form, constructed of slab-on-edge and rubble limestone walling. Pottery collected from the settlement is of 2nd to 3rd century AD date. (6) Romano-British settlement with visible components including clustered buildings and platforms, lynchets, stone banks, double orthostatic boundaries, gateways, trackways, rectilinear enclosures and sub-circular enclosures. The dating is based upon 2nd to 3rd century pottery surface finds. (7)
- <1> SDR5669 Article in serial: Butcher, L H & James, C. 1962. East Midland Archaeology Bulletin. Vol. 5, No. 5.
- <2> SDR6062 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 07-JAN-66.
- <3> SDR3657 Archive: Butcher, L. Survey notes, pottery sherds etc. in Sheffield City Museum.
- <4> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 0672, 0677.
- <5> SDR15202 Article in serial: Beswick, P and Merrills, D. 1983. 'L H Butcher's survey of early settlements and fields in the Southern Pennines', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeology Society. Volume 12, pp 16-50. p 33, 36 (Fig. 17).
- <6> SDR19413 Article in serial: Makepeace, G. 1998. 'Romano-British rural settlements in the Peak District and north-east Staffordshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 118, pp 95-138. p 114, Fig. 5.
- <7> SDR19428 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 2000. Peak District Romano-British Rural Upland Settlement Survey, 1998-1000. 3 vols.. No.51, pp 61-62.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 106 715 (204m by 550m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHELMORTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 14 2016 12:13PM