Building record MDR1931 - Wormhill Hall, Wormhill
Type and Period (3)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Stuart to 21st Century - 1697 AD to 2050 AD)
- STABLE (Georgian to 21st Century - 1750 AD to 2050 AD)
- GATE PIER (Georgian to 21st Century - 1750 AD to 2050 AD)
(SK 12467408) Wormhill Hall. (1) Grade II* listed small country house. Dated on rainwater heads 'B AA 1697'. Ashlar gritstone with projecting quoins, moulded copings and kneelers, ashlar ridge stacks and single side wall stack, mostly with moulded caps. Irregular 'H' plan. (2,3) Two storey range to the north-west of, and attached to, Wormhill Hall (formerly listed as an integral part of the Hall). Grade II listed. Ancillary wing to Wormhill Hall, possibly accommodation for domestic servants. Early 18th century. Coursed rubble limestone with gritstone dressings, coped gable to north west end, intermediate and end ashlar ridge stacks, stone slated roof. Gate piers and boundary walling to the west of Wormhill Hall (formerly listed as Gate piers at Wormhill Hall). Grade II listed. Mid 18th century. Ashlar gritstone, square on plan, with projecting moulded caps, surmounted by ball finials. Outer gate piers at Wormhill Hall. Grade II listed. Mid 18th century. Ashlar gritstone, square on plan, with moulded drips, projecting moulded caps, surmounted by ball finials. Stables and cottage to the north-west of Wormhill Hall (formerly listed as Stabling at Wormhill Hall). Grade II listed. Mid 18th century. Rubble limestone with gritstone dressings, quoins, coped gables, moulded kneelers, and stone slated roof. (3) The traditional buildings and features of Wormhill Hall are of late 17th and 18th century date. They comprise a large hall range and attached service range; stables and cottage to the north-west; a driveway with elaborate gate piers and gardens associated with the house. (6) Vernacular building dated to 1697 as indicated by rainwater head. (8)
- <1> SDR11939 Map: 1974. OS 1:10000. 1:10000.
- <2> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p361.
- <3> SDR5459 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Boro of High Peak (Parishes of Peak Forest & Wormhill) Derby, June 1984, 5-6.
- <4> SDR14188 Index: NDAT. 2548. 2548.
- <5> SDR19107 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). 1998-2001. Peak District National Park Authority Farm Surveys. 2001: 372.25-28.
- <6> SDR20441 Unpublished document: Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2001. Wormhill Hall, Wormhill, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 2001. No. 1, p 2.
- <7> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 15653.1.
- <8> SDR23380 Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1246 7407 (21m by 45m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WORMHILL, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 11 2015 11:59AM