Monument record MDR1933 - 'Celtic' field system, Chee Tor, Blackwell in the Peak
Type and Period (2)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Early Iron Age to Roman - 800 BC to 409 AD)
- None recorded
A system of 'Celtic' fields appearing as a low bank beneath a later Medieval field system [SMR 1706]. They can be identified over an area of some 10ha (25 acres). They almost certainly relate to the Romano-British settlement (SMR1704) and enclosure system at Chee Tor to the west. (1-3). Romano-British field system associated with Chee Tor settlement (SMR 1704). Evidence includes earthen banks, stone banks, possible single and double orthostatic walls, coursed walls, lynchets, unclear boundaries, rectilinear and sub-circular enclosures and terraces. (5). Site comprising lynchets and banks. The sub-rectangular fields are Romano-British. However, there are no as yet dated artefacts and therefore several other dates cannot be dismissed. The system may have prehistoric origins, and the size of the lynchets may suggest prolonged use into and beyond the Roman period. The fields may be a early post-medieval private enclosure, although this seems unlikely. (4).
- <1> SDR7753 Article in serial: Thomas, F. 1961. 'Celtic Fields at Blackwell, Taddington', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 81, pp 147-148.
- <2> SDR15297 Article in serial: Thomas, F. 1962. 'Earthworks on Chee Tor, Blackwell, near Taddington', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 82. p102.
- <3> SDR14004 Index: NDAT. 0354.
- <4> SDR18917 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1989. Blackwell Hall Farm, Blackwell, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1989. No. 2, pp 2-3.
- <5> SDR19428 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 2000. Peak District Romano-British Rural Upland Settlement Survey, 1998-1000. 3 vols.. Site 029/031, pp37-38.
- <6> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1705.1-10.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 130 730 (439m by 414m) (Multiple Site Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BLACKWELL IN THE PEAK, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2015 8:44AM