Monument record MDR1949 - Possible medieval hall (site of), south of Blackwell Hall Farm, Blackwell
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The site of a presumably medieval hall which is the precursor to Blackwell Hall (SMR 1714). There are continuing Hunter Society excavations occurring at this location. Extensive foundations were revealed with some associated floor levels. Wall lines extend into the field to the south. (1) During excavations at SMR 1715, Blackwell Hall, a socketed Iron spearhead, presumably Anglo Saxon, was found. It has been conserved and retained by Sheffield City Museum. (2) A stone, considered to be a fragment of a late Anglian cross, dating from the late 9th century was also found during excavations. (3) Continuing excavations have revealed some decorated stone work, possibly of pre-Conquest date. (4) This complex of sub-rectangular structures, defined by wall footings set into bedding trenches and resting on bedrock, lies adjacent to Blackwell Hall farm. Currently excavated by Hunters Archaeological Society revealing services buildings and/or yards and pottery sherds from mostly unstratified contexts spanning the 12th to 16th centuries and the Romano-British and Anglian periods. (5) It is known that Lenton Priory was granted Blackwell Manor in the early 12th century and that this priory also held land in Monyash, Chelmorton, Fairfield and Flagg. Given that Blackwell manor was the largest of these it may be that there was a grange-like complex here and this is what is under excavation. The buildings were demolished by 1631, the date of Senior's map. (6) Piece of Anglo-Saxon cross-shaft found during recent (1994) excavation of Blackwell's former manor house. May not be original provenance. Now in Sheffield City Museum. (7)
- <1> SDR12768 Personal Observation: Jones, B. Personal observation regarding the possible medieval hall at Blackwell.
- <2> SDR12713 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PDNPA). 1988. Personal communication regarding sites in the Peak District, 7th of December, 1988.
- <3> SDR19739 Article in serial: Jones, B. 1993. 'A carved stone at Blackwell-in-the-Peak, Derbys', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society. Volume 17, pp 66-70.
- <4> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. Jones, B. 1989.
- <5> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1720.1.
- <6> SDR18917 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1989. Blackwell Hall Farm, Blackwell, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1989. No. 20, p6.
- <7> SDR19261 Correspondence: Sidebottom, P. 1994. Letter regarding Anglo-Saxon stone monuments in Derbyshire, 15th February, 1994. Letter.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1266 7218 (130m by 162m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BLACKWELL IN THE PEAK, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2015 1:46PM