Triple pie lime kiln, in Hall Green Wood, compartment two. Mentioned by Farey in 1815, it is thought to be the only surviving one of its kind in Derbyshire (there may have been one at Newhaven). Some slag is evident. (1, 2)
Kiln comprising a long mound measuring 21.5m by 10.5m in plan and standing c.1m high on the downslope side. The interior has been largely removed leaving a large hollow measuring 16m by 4m, 0.5m to 1m deep, and that exhibits evidence for tripartite division. The kiln is sited immediately below its quarry which is of moderate size and cuts the low scarp running from north-east to south-west. The site must have been disused by 1840 by which time it had been incorporated in a plantation (built between 1825 and 1840). (3).
Pye kiln with three eyes, probably that described by Farey. The site has been levelled, the only sign being a slightly less mature area of the barley crop. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Farey, J. 1813. A General View of the Agriculture and Minerals of Derbyshire Vol. 2. Volume 2. p435.
Personal Observation: Smith, K (PDNPA). 1988. Personal communication regarding sites in the Peak District, 7th of December, 1988.
Bibliographic reference: Trueman, M. 1997. Monuments Protection Programme, Step 3 Report: Lime, Cement and Plaster Industries- Site Assessment. Site 5.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1257 7256 (43m by 59m) (Centre)
BLACKWELL IN THE PEAK, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2015 8:43AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.