Building record MDR1952 - Blackwell Hall Farm Buildings, 225m north-north-east if Manor Farm, Blackwell in the Peak
Type and Period (4)
- FARM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TITHE BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TROUGH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMSTEAD (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)
- None recorded
Blackwell Hall (Hall Green), Blackwell in the Peak. Partially extant 19th century farmstead. The farmstead is formed of a regular courtyard of L-plan and additional detached elements to the main plan. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. The site is in an isolated location. Large modern sheds have been identified on the site, and may have destroyed or obscured historic buildings. There has been a partial loss (less than 50%) of traditional buildings. (1) (2) (3) (4) Quadrangular arrangement of traditional farm buildings around farmyard. South-west corner entrance. In the centre is a large cider press style water trough formed from a single gritstone boulder. It was brought from Stanton quarries in 1835 by the owner of the quarries and tenant at Blackwell Hall (tenant to Chatsworth), Mr Heathcote. His quarries also supplied St Georges Hall, Liverpool. The barn at the west end is supposedly on the site of a tithe barn. (5,6). The Blackwell manor house was situated between the tithe barn and the pond, in the area presently occupied by the copse to the west of the existing farmhouse called Blackwell Hall. (7).
- <1> SDR23696 Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
- <2> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <3> SDR23698 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
- <4> SDR23699 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
- <5> SDR12713 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PDNPA). 1988. Personal communication regarding sites in the Peak District, 7th of December, 1988.
- <6> SDR12781 Personal Observation: Gregory, W P. 1989. Pers. Comm..
- <7> SDR8023 Article in serial: Jenkins, M. 1965. 'A Renaissance Hall for Blackwell in the Peak', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol 85, pp 112-118. p114.
- <8> SDR18917 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1989. Blackwell Hall Farm, Blackwell, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1989.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1260 7230 (10m by 10m) (Multiple Site Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BLACKWELL IN THE PEAK, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2016 3:26PM