Site record MDR19709 - Site of Farm, North of Torside Reservoir, Tinwistle
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
Former site of farm, north of Torside Reservoir, Tinwistle, possibly dating to 1669. The complex of four buildings is shown on the 6" OS map of 1842 where it includes the label 'Sheepfold,' and is similarly labelled on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of 1898. The area was included in a walkover survey carried out between 1986 and 1989, when certain remaining features were sketched and described in what they referred to as Fields 28 and 29: '…the southern part of Field 28 contains building platforms, building debris, relic walls with massive corner stones and megalithic blocks with old trackways. Solitary gatepost survives north of trees. Stone slates are of several types (?ages?), some large - c0.5m long and almost square, some very small 20 by 25cm, some 20cm long by 60cm. Hefty stone (gritstone) ridge tiles survive, part of flag floor survives beneath grass in one area. North of area of dead buildings is single rounded marker stone, no inscription, suggest marks line underground watercourse, lines up with stone to stouth. Stretch surviving wall within Field 28 owing more to previous trackways than field boundaries of good build with throughstones projecting as stiles/access.' (1) In Field 29: '…above but paralell with road is line of buildng. Lintel dated 1669 (?? 1669 AB) part buried in the grass. Other building debris lying around or reused in later structures in field…' (1) The area was surveyed in 2016 when it was described as: 'the farmstead was of a dispersed plan arranged as a cluster of buildings. The site was in an isolated location. All traditional buildings have been lost.' (2-5)
- <1> SDR24542 Unpublished document: Ellison, P et al. 1989. Longdendale Survey Highstones Area, 1989.
- <2> SDR23696 Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
- <3> SDR23697 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
- <4> SDR23698 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
- <5> SDR23699 Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
|Grid reference||SK 0697 9919 (point)|
|Local Authority||HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||TINTWISTLE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2020 8:32PM