Building record MDR1992 - The Mill, Miller's Dale, Wormhill
Type and Period (3)
- SHOP (Late 20th Century - 1984 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- FLOUR MILL (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1860 AD to 1984 AD?)
- HOUSE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 2000 AD? to 2050 AD)
- None recorded
The Mill, Miller's Dale, Wormhill, a former corn mill built 1860. The 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880 shows the building labelled as 'Flour Mill.' (1) A 19th century corn mill on the River Wye. The water wheel has been removed. The mill was built in 1860. It is known that King John gave a mill at Wormhill to Daniel Puiceman but the exact location is unknown; it may have been on the site of this later mill. (2-3) The present structure dates from re-building in 1860. There are gritstone quoins within the main wall of the building that suggest at least three phases of construction, with the earliest to the east. The mill is situated on the north bank of the River Wye. No machinery remains and it is now used as a craft centre . Another mill was recorded in the late 12th century. (4) A building survey carried out in 2013 identified three elements: One was built in 1860, lies to the west of the group. The next oldest lies in the middle and did not appear on the 1st edition OS map dated c1880. The eastern part of the group does not appear on OS maps until the 3rd ed., and is believed to be an extension built in the 1920s. All three underwent significant alterantions in the 1970s. (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR6994 Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District.
- <3> SDR14201 Index: NDAT. 2571. 2571.
- <4> SDR4751 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. 32.
- <5> SDR24242 Unpublished document: Mora-Ottomano, A (ARS). 2013. The Mill, Miller's Dale, Derbyshire: Archaeological Soft Strip Monitoring and Recording.
|Grid reference||SK 13798 73149 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WORMHILL, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2020 4:48PM