'The Martine Syde Crosse' appears on more than one of the 17th century plans in the Public Record Office. About a quarter of a mile beyond the farmstead of Martin Side at an elevation of 1,100ft is the base of a cross. 'From the rough character of the base stone and the shape of the socket, it may fairly be assumed that it is of pre-Norman date.' (1)
Location correctly identified on OS mapping . (2)
The cross base was removed by the County Council from its site by the side of the road in January 1973, after it had been struck and overturned by a vehicle. In April 1974 it was re-set in mortar on a stone-flagged base close to its original position, but on the opposite side of the road. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1907. Memorials of Old Derbyshire. p 304.
Personal Observation: F1 BHS 25-JAN-66.
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 16.1, with photos.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 0728 7877 (point) (Centre)
CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 18 2015 12:36PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.