Monument record MDR202 - Lady Low bowl barrow, 544m south of Cowlow bowl barrow, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (1)
- BOWL BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
SK 0653 7818: Lady Low, Round Barrow: [SK 0653 7818] Lady Low. (1) There seems to be no evidence that Lady Low at the east end of Combs Moss above Dove Holes, has ever been investigated. (2). Lady Low bowl barrow is a roughly circular cairn situated on the eastern edge of Combs Moss above an outcrop in the western gritstone moors of Derbyshire. The monument includes a mound measuring c.14m by 13m by c.1.5m high, though some of this apparent height is due to its being built on a natural knoll. The barrow is slightly disturbed on the top and on the south side, possibly due to a small-scale excavation though there is no record of such an event. The appearance of the monument, and its proximity to others of a similar period, date it to the Bronze Age. (3). Minor disturbance on top of the barrow - obviously not recent, suggests that authority 2 may be incorrect. Published survey (25") correct. (4). SK 06517779. Lady Low barrow, Chapel-en-le-Frith, is a large gritstone cairn with a large hole in its summit. The cairn measures 70 ft (20m) by 6 ft (2m). There is no record of any excavation at this site. (5). Dimensions: Length: c.14m, Breadth: c.13m, Height: c.1.5m. This prominent mound has been extensively robbed from the south-west side to the centre, probably for its stone. It is certainly part natural as bedrock outcrops near the summit to the south. However, it may well be that this natural knoll has been modified and utilised as a barrow as suggested by its regular profile in the northern half. (7)
- <1> SDR12081 Map: 1955. OS 6".
- <2> SDR3581 Bibliographic reference: Bunting, W B. 1940. Chapel-en-le-Frith. p 5.
- <3> SDR730 Scheduling record: Ministry of Works. 1961. Ancient Monuments of England and Wales. 13345. Cat. No.: 132.
- <4> SDR6129 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 25-JAN-66.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 27.
- <6> SDR14715 Index: NDAT. 2706.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 20:5.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0652 7818 (14m by 13m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 22 2009 1:27PM