Two kilns exist side-by-side. Both are in need of rescue work. (1)
A single limekiln is shown on the 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, and is described as 'old'. (2)
The earliest record of a pye kiln in the Peak District of Derbyshire is circa 1788, where John Farey recorded, 'here small Pye-kilns have been in use since about the year 1788. Lime at the rate of 900 bushels per acre, was laid on 2d Limestone Land, over-ran with Moss Hillocks on Chelmerton (Chelmorton) Low. At the Inclosure of the Common, Pye-kilns only were used by the farmers… ten times as much lime had been then used, as would have been, if Run-kilns had been remained in use, on account of the superior cheapness and expedition of the former, in preparing this important manure.' Here, the lime kilns would have been used for agricultural purposes. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Hill, R: 1985: C179.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Article in serial: Leach, J. 1995. 'Burning lime in Derbyshire pye kilns', Industrial Archaeology Review.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1151 7062 (40m by 56m) (Centre)
CHELMORTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 10 2015 2:31PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.