Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR2026 - Miller's Dale Lime Works (remains of), Taddington

Type and Period (3)

  • (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1850 AD to 1950 AD)
  • (Victorian - 1878 AD to 1880 AD)
  • (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1850 AD to 1950 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Limekilns east of Millers Dale station, with high stone retaining walls and interesting flora. (1) The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows a bank of limekilns adjacent to railway sidings, with a quarry to the south served by several tramways. (2) The site is marked on the 2nd edition as Miller's Dale Lime Works, and had expanded considerably to the south and east. Several buildings are shown on the map and a chimney is named. (3) The lime works continued to expand in the early 20th century. (4) The site was assessed as part of the Monuments Protection Programme. Surviving components include a bank of four large lime kilns of 1878 and 1880 which stand at the east end of a rail viaduct, served by the rail. The kilns ceased operating in the 1930s and have since been restored and interpreted by Derbyshire County Museum's service. The kiln bank survives in good condition. The stone-built draw kilns have two phases of construction, with tunnel entrances to the draw arches. The railway sidings and mainline is below to the north. The abandoned quarries to the rear (now a Nature Reserve) incorporate extensive remains of working faces, spoil heaps and ruined structures. The crushing plant immediately east of the kilns is a series of massive but ruinous concrete structures, including bases for an overhead cableway. The overall assessment for the site was as follows: "Good example of a bank of large late 19th century draw kilns as part of a large industrial complex - associated quarry and crushing plant. Proximity to railway (and bridges) enhances value". (5) Miller's Dale old limestone quarries to the south of the former railway line including the well preserved remains of limekilns of 1878 (rebuilt 1923) built into the hillside. These were formerly served by a railway siding. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. Challenger, GP:13.6.77:C62.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Trueman, M. 1997. Monuments Protection Programme, Step 3 Report: Lime, Cement and Plaster Industries- Site Assessment. Site 10.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.



Grid reference Centred SK 1412 7307 (763m by 380m) Multiple Site Centre

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 12 2023 8:39PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.