Monument record MDR2046 - ?Barrow, 182m south-east of Hay Top Romano-British settlement, Little Longstone
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
[SK 17817238] Tumulus. (1) A flat-topped barrow with its eastern edge removed twenty yards in diameter and four feet high, on the summit of a hill called Hay Top, overlooking Cressbrook, was excavated 16th and 23rd May 1851 when three cists were found cut into the rock and containing contracted skeletons with two Food vessels of Manbys type 1a (ii), a bone pin, and a flint arrowhead. Two skulls were found with an 'A' Beaker and other finds included jet beads and an intrusive Anglian burial with an irons spear and a blue glass bead. (2-5). The barrow has a maximum height of 1.5m but appears to be larger as it surmounts a natural outcrop of rock. Published 1/2500 survey revised. (6) SMR 9310 excavations by T. Bateman 16th May 1851 found two disassociated skulls with a beaker and flint tool. This excavation and finds can now be attributed to SMR 9316. SMR 9311 excavations by T. Bateman 16th and 23rd May 1851 found three cists in rock-cut graves with crouched inhumations and grave goods including two food vessels, bone artefacts, jet beads, several worked flints, burnt and unburnt bones scattered through mound. This excavation and finds can now be attributed to SMR 9316. Theerfore SMR 9311 is a prominent mound which is almost certainly an entirely natural knoll. A quarry on one side reveals bedrock within 0.6m of the summit. There is no recorded excavation here. (15)
- <1> SDR11764 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. pp 74-77.
- <3> SDR846 Bibliographic reference: Abercromby, J. 1912. Bronze Age Pottery of the British Isles Volume 1. Volume 1. pp 56, 88, 101, 145.
- <4> SDR8479 Article in serial: Manby, T. 1957. 'Food vessels of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 77, pp 1-29. pp 20-21.
- <5> SDR12503 Article in serial: Ozanne, A. 1962-3. 'The Peak Dwellers', Medieval Archaeology. Volume 6-7. p 42.
- <6> SDR6369 Personal Observation: F1 JB 15-DEC-65.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. pp 67-68.
- <8> SDR14101 Index: NDAT. 1404. 1404.
- <9> SDR3963 Bibliographic reference: Clarke, D L. 1970. Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland. No: 142F, 143.
- <10> SDR8089 Bibliographic reference: Jewitt, L. 1870. Grave Mounds and their Contents. Fig. 108.
- <15> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 4:D.
- <16> SDR6903 Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A. 1964. A Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1781 7238 (16m by 17m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE LONGSTONE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 18 2010 1:47PM