Monument record MDR2063 - Longstone Moor Bowl Barrow, Longstone Moor, Great Longstone
Type and Period (3)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- BOWL BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- BURIAL (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
Cairn, eighteen yards in diameter, about a quarter of a mile nearer Wardlow than the barrow on Longstone Edge, [SMR 6426] was opened on the 27th June 1851, when it was found to cover a rock grave containing calcined human bone, a flint javelin-head and a bone point. (1). Unlocated. (3) The barrow is largely intact. There is a central pit with upcast that might pre-date 1851 excvavations, and three smaller pits. The rock-cut grave dug by Bateman had been disturbed previously. The flint 'javelin' is illustrated and looks like a flint knife. (5) The barrow is situated on the western edge of Longstone Moor on the limestone plateau of Derbyshire. The monument includes a sub-circular mound with a diameter of 16m by 19.5m and a height of c.1.7m. In 1851, Thomas Bateman carried out a partial excavation of the mound and uncovered a rock cut grave which contained the remains of a human cremation. A flint knife was also recovered. These remains indicate a Bronze Age date for the barrow. (6) Site monitoring has been carried out and site appears not to be under threat. (7)
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p79.
- <2> SDR13770 Unpublished document: Bateman, T. Descriptions of, and Observations on, Further Discoveries in the Barrows of Derbyshire. p1.
- <3> SDR6348 Personal Observation: F1 JB 01-FEB-66.
- <4> SDR14296 Index: NDAT. 3948.
- <5> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 4:7.
- <6> SDR17674 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1993. Scheduling Notification. 13379. Cat. No.: 311.
- <7> SDR22198 Unpublished document: Wheal, S (PDNPA). 2008. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Bowl Barrow on Longstone Moor.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1899 7365 (13m by 15m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT LONGSTONE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 11 2016 10:43AM