Monument record MDR2096 - Barrow (lost ?), Brushfield
Type and Period (1)
- BARROW (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- None recorded
SK 16 72: Brushfield, Barrow (lost?): A barrow described as "at Brushfield" produced Anglian finds when disturbed by a farmer in c. 1825. There are several known possible sites (SMR 2706, 2707, 2740) and it is unknown which, if any, of these was the location for these finds. The documented finds are an iron sword, an iron shield umbo (boss), an iron knife and a buckle. (3) Nb. There are two separate SMR no.s and entries for this discovery, one (SMR 2717) was already extant when Barnatt allocated a second number to the finds following his barrow survey (3). Whether this was deliberate, or an error, is uncertain, the earlier entry has a more specific NGR, although Barnatt's survey would suggest such accuracy is unwarranted. (4)
- <1> SDR13649 Bibliographic reference: Mitchell, S. 1842. Unpublished Memoranda in T Bateman Correspondence. Vol.2.
- <2> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p 27.
- <3> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 5:19.
- <4> SDR13317 Personal Observation: R2 HEJ 09-JUN-95.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 16 72 (1000m by 1000m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BRUSHFIELD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2008 3:43PM