Monument record MDR2142 - ?Round Barrow, Shack Low, Sheldon
Type and Period (3)
- ROUND BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- MOUND (Unknown date)
- None recorded
[SK 16987026]. Rusticated beaker in Sheffield City Museum (J. 1956.37) found by Major Harris. (1). SK 169 702: Shacklow, Beaker: Major Harris indicated the find spot as approximately SK 17137023. (5). SK 1701 7024: Shack Low, ?Round Barrow: This small knoll is entirely natural. However, excavations by Harris in 1925 showed it had been utilized for burial. A small rock-cut hole at the summit contained an empty bucket-shaped urn, set upright, with no contents. A small crevice nearby had two ?Beaker sherds. At the edge of the knoll, in topsoil, were the disarticulated remains of two children with a broken FP Beaker and a flint (?flake). The barrow is located in close proximity to the Romano-British settlement to the west [SMR 12424]. (6).
- <1> SDR7033 Unpublished document: Harris, T A. n.d.. Notes (in Harris collection, Sheffield City Museum).
- <2> SDR6369 Personal Observation: F1 JB 15-DEC-65.
- <3> SDR3963 Bibliographic reference: Clarke, D L. 1970. Beaker Pottery of Great Britain and Ireland.
- <4> SDR4160 Unpublished document: Corr. 6" (Sheffield City Museum, undated)..
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p86.
- <6> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 6:8.
- <7> SDR2694 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 1989. PDBS, vol.5: SMR update.
- <8> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1758.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1701 7022 (79m by 101m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||SHELDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 29 2007 9:56AM