Monument record MDR2188 - Round barrow, Pike Low, Derwent
Type and Period (1)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
SK 1804 8976: Pike Low, Round Barrow: Pike Low (NR) (1) Cairn, Pike Low, diameter 50ft, height 7ft. (2) A round barrow with heavy stone content; no retaining circle or ditch. Maximum exterior height is 1.7m. but the top has been dug out to a maximum depth of 0.6m. Published survey, 25", revised. (3) SK 180898. Pike Low. A large gritstone cairn, 50ft. diameter and 6ft. in height, with central hole. A modern cairn built on top. (4) SK 180897. Pike Low round cairn, Scheduled. (5) Dimensions: L: 17.0m, B: 15.0m, H: 1.3m The lack of a visible retaining circle noted above, does not preclude the possibility that this exists. The central disturbance is up to 0.7m deep, and this may be an undocumented excavation, rather than stone robbing. (7) Site monitoring has been carried out. See record for details. (9)
- <1> SDR11929 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1980. 1:10 000.
- <2a> SDR16059 Bibliographic reference:
- <2b> SDR7293 Bibliographic reference:
- <2> SDR7311 Bibliographic reference: Hunter Index (F L Preston July 1956).
- <3> SDR6334 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 27-SEP-65.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p29.
- <5> SDR5314 Bibliographic reference:
- <6> SDR14459 Index: NDAT. NDAT: 0759. 0759.
- <7> SDR2566 Bibliographic reference:
- <8> SDR2567 Bibliographic reference:
- <9> SDR22214 Unpublished document: Wetton, P (PDNPA). 2009. Scheduled Monument Monitoring Form: Pike Low.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1803 8976 (18m by 20m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DERWENT, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 16 2015 3:08PM