Monument record MDR2195 - ?Round barrow, Lose Hill, Hope
Type and Period (3)
- ROUND BARROW ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- HUMAN REMAINS ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CINERARY URN ? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
SK 1529 8533: Lose Hill, Round Barrow: Human Remains, & Urns found. (1) Barrow at the summit of LOSE HILL, now (1955) much mutilated. (2) At the siting of authority 1, on the summit of LOSE HILL, is an amorphous platform maximum height 0.7m. This seems, at least in part, comprised of spoil from a trig. Pillar, previously here, and from an adjacent National Park Topograph but may also be the much disturbed remains of a barrow. Sketch survey at 1/2500. (3). (SK 15318536) Tumulus. (5) This low, mutilated mound has been partly quarried away. A shallow hollow on top may be the site of a trig pillar which is known to have existed on the hilltop. The southern side has lost all turf due to walker erosion. The mound is open to alternative interpretation as a slight natural knoll. However, the Ordnance Survey account of finds supports the interpretation as a barrow. (7). Lose Hill Burial barrow. An indistinct, low lying feature, probably a prehistoric barrow. The Ordnance Survey records a barrow at this site, associated with human remains and urns though where this information was obtained from is unknown. Alternatively, the feature may be a natural knoll. (8).
- <1> SDR11795 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1919-1938. 6" Provisional Edition.
- <2> SDR4112 Unpublished document: Preston, F L. 1956. Corr. 6".
- <3> SDR6334 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 27-SEP-65.
- <4> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 62.
- <5> SDR11994 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1983. 1:250000.
- <6> SDR14561 Index: NDAT. 1332.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 18:11.
- <8> SDR20401 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 2001. National Trust High Peak Estate, archaeological survey, 2001. No. 99, p 48.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1530 8536 (9m by 9m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HOPE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 19 2012 5:27PM