Derwent, a chapelry, on the River Derwent with a church dedicated to St James. There is a school with a small endowment and a principal residence called Derwent Hall. (1)
The village of Derwent, mentioned in 1215, takes its name from the river on which it formerly stood; it is now submerged in the Ladybower Reservoir built between 1935-1943. (2)
Derwent, Deserted Medieval Village (submerged). Listed as a deserted Medieval village. (3)
The village is shown as 'Derwent Chapel' on OS 6" 1882. Area covered by reservoir on RAF aerial photos 1953. (4)
In the autumn of 1990 and 1991 the ruins of the village of Derwent became exposed following exceptionally low rainfall. Although the features of the old village are now little more than scatters of rubble, the foundations of the buildings are still traceable. In one of the ruins a large decorated stone was noted in 1990 and excavated in 1991 (see SMR 4648 for the stone, a fragment of a pre-conquest cross shaft). The building in which the stone was found is shown on a map of circa 1810 and may initially have been a stable. However, it was enlarged sometime during the 19th century and photographs taken during the early 1940s show the building to be domestic, either one or a pair of small cottages. Excavation uncovered quantities of building debris, the northern wall of the building, part of a stone-flagged floor some 27cm below the present ground surface, and a fireplace. The carved stone was shown to have been used as a fireplace surround. (6)
Bibliographic reference: Virtue & Co. 1868. The National Gazeteer, Volume 1.
Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District. p135.
Bibliographic reference: Beresford, M & Hurst, J. 1971. Deserted Medieval Villages. p 185.
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0761. 0761.
Article in serial: Ashburner, E. 1966. 'Notes and news: deserted villages', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 86, pp 112-113.
Article in serial: Sidebottom, P. 1993. 'The Derwent cross shaft: discovery and excavation 1991', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeological Society. Volume 17, pp 9-18.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 183 885 (323m by 264m) (Centre)
DERWENT, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2015 4:59PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.