Monument record MDR2234 - Cave Dale Cave, Castleton
Type and Period (3)
- CAVE (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- SETTLEMENT (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Early Neolithic to Late Bronze Age - 4000 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Cave Dale Cave, a small cave just underneath the Keep of Peveril Castle extending inwards about eleven feet, was excavated by Pennington who found a bronze celt now in Bolton Museum (4), a piece of jet, "rude pottery", charcoal, a bone comb and human and animal bones. Below a stalagmite he found flint implements and human and animal bones. (Another cave nearby called the "Creep Hole" was explored in 1875, see SMR 3308). A stone axe in the scree from one of the caves was found by a Castleton boy. (1,3,4,8) Caves, human remains, Celt, etc. found. (Half of a Celt etc. found). (2) No further information. Neither of the caves is identifiable. (5) Cave Dale has four known archaeological caves, although 15 caves exist in total. Most of the caves cannot be entered, including the deeper ones near Peveril Castle due to an accumulation of sediments within the caves. CA05 (SK1492482564) is directly below the castle garderobe and a small fragment of animal bone was noted on the top of a spoil heap created by badgers. This cave, alongside CA06 (SK1493782574) might have been excavated by Pennington but the records are vague as to which caves were actually dug. There is no trace of excavation due to animal action. (9)
- <1> SDR12600 Bibliographic reference: Pennington, R. 1877. Notes on the Barrows and Bone Caves of Derbyshire. pp 53-57.
- <2> SDR12050 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1913-38. 6".
- <3> SDR7336 Index: Preston, F L. 1956. Hunter Archaeological Society Index.
- <4> SDR15391 Article in serial: 1961. Transcript of the Hunter Archaeology Society. Vol. 8, part 3. p 162.
- <5> SDR6312 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 15-SEP-65.
- <6> SDR3208 Unpublished document: Beswick, P. 1969. The Rooke Pennington Collection from Derbyshire in Bolton Museum.
- <7> SDR14398 Index: NDAT. 0581.
- <8> SDR20408 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1992. Aston Hall, land at Castleton, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1992. No. 77, p 12.
- <9> SDR19767 Unpublished document: Holderness, H, Davies, G, Chamberlain, A & Donahue, R (ARCUS). 2006. A Conservation Audit of Archaeological Cave Resources in the Peak District and Yorkshire Dales. ARCUS Research Report 743.b. pp 25-26.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1499 8262 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CASTLETON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (7)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2016 12:13PM