Monument record MDR2246 - Enclosure, Speedwell Mine, Castleton
Type and Period (2)
- CIRCULAR ENCLOSURE (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- None recorded
A circular enclosure south of the Winnatts road, ¼ mile west of Castleton, has been found by Mr. L. H. Butcher. (1) An oval earthen bank midway between Castleton and Speedwell mine. (2,5,6) Not located. (3) Listed by Challis and Harding as a circular enclosure (Iron Age). (4)
- <1> SDR15470 Index: Preston, F L. Transcript Hunter Index, 2.
- <2> SDR5717 Article in serial: East Midlands Committee of Field Archaeologists. 1963. East Midlands Archaeological Bulletin, 1963. James, C, p 1.
- <3> SDR6312 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 15-SEP-65.
- <4> SDR2441 Monograph: Challis, A & Harding, W. 1975. 'Later Prehistory from the Trent to the Tyne', British Archaeological Report 20. Part 2. p 53.
- <5> SDR17288 Archive: Butcher, L H. 1":1mile map; Roman Sites in North Derbyshire, South Yorkshire and Staffordshire, Sheffield City Museum Collection. Acc. No. SHEFM:1976.1061 D13. D45, D111.
- <6> SDR14408 Index: NDAT. 0592.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1435 8256 (150m by 163m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CASTLETON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2016 12:13PM