Monument record MDR2254 - Creep Hole Cave, Castleton
Type and Period (1)
- CAVE (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
Another cave near to Cave Dale Cave (refer to SMR 3307) called the "Creep Hole" was explored in 1875. It is a passage running up into the rock, and passing into a small cavern, whence an opening at the other side leads to the neck of land which connects the crag of Peveril Castle with the main mass of the hills. At the entrance to this passage, in Cave Dale, animal bones and half a perforated sandstone hammer, were found. A stone axe in the scree from one of the caves was found by a Castleton boy. (1,4,5) Caves human remains. Celt, and c. found Half of a Celt and c. found. (3) No further information. Neither of the caves (SMR 3307 and 3308) is identifiable. (6) A fissure close to Cave Dale, running up towards Peveril Castle. Excavated by Pennington in 1875. Prehistoric ("rude") pottery was found during the excavation. (8) Two caves in cave Dale [the other is SMR 3307], excavated by Pennington in 1875. Creep Hole Cave is probably about half way down the valley side, below and to the west of the other. It is a small rock shelter with a boulder collapse at the back. Pennington found animal bones and a sandstone perforated axe-hammer. (1,11)
- <1> SDR12600 Bibliographic reference: Pennington, R. 1877. Notes on the Barrows and Bone Caves of Derbyshire. pp 53-57.
- <2> SDR19850 Bibliographic reference: Ward, J. 1905. 'Early Man' in Victoria County History: Derbyshire. Volume 1, pp 159-190. p 185.
- <3> SDR11784 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1919-1938. 6".
- <4> SDR7336 Index: Preston, F L. 1956. Hunter Archaeological Society Index.
- <5> SDR15416 Bibliographic reference: 1961. Transcript of Hunter Archaeology Society. Vol.8, pt.3. p 162.
- <6> SDR6313 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 15-SEP-65.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 110.
- <8> SDR13986 Index: OS. SK 18 SW 12.. SK 18 SW 12..
- <9> SDR14853 Index: NDAT. 609. 609.
- <10> SDR14398 Index: NDAT. 0581.
- <11> SDR20408 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1992. Aston Hall, land at Castleton, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1992. No. 77, p 12.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1500 8262 (10m by 10m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CASTLETON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2016 12:13PM