Monument record MDR2280 - Linacre Field lead mining remains, Rowter Farm, Castleton
Type and Period (7)
- LEAD MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MINE SHAFT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COE (Stuart to Victorian - 1650 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDING CIRCLE (Stuart to Victorian - 1650 AD to 1900 AD)
- RAKE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LIME KILN (Stuart to Victorian - 1650 AD to 1900 AD)
- DRESSING FLOOR (Stuart to Victorian - 1650 AD to 1900 AD)
SK 1235 8150: Linacre Field and Slitherstow (Slitherstone) Rake [SMR 11631]: A substantial lead mining landscape comprising parallel rakes, particularly at Linacre. The series of features associated with the rakes are mainly late 17th to 18th century, continuing into the 19th century. Green noted that mines in Linacre Field descended to 110 fathoms. Part of a group of rakes, including New Rakes, Faucet, Watts Grove and Oxlow. (1) Scheduled. The monument includes the earthwork, buried, standing and rock cut remains of Slitherstone lead mine [SMR 11631], Linacre lead mine and a limekiln. (5) Extensive lead mining remains from the working of several veins were surveyed in 1995. The remains on the site include well-preserved hollows and hillocks, a number of disused and capped mine shafts (some protected by the erection of belland walling) and at least two small ponds which may have been constructed as part of the lead workings for washing ore. (6) At the Linacre/Slitherstone Mines there are a large number of capped shafts as well as good examples of small open cuts, small belland yards and dressing floors, coes, water storage and ore-dressing ponds, and buddle dams. Underground interest includes several deep shafts that give access to unstable stopes. (7)
- <1> SDR13550 Personal Observation: Rieuwerts, J & Willies, L. 1988. Pers. Comm..
- <2> SDR4754 Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition. pp 48-49.
- <3> SDR6958 Article in serial: Green A H. 1887. The Geology of North Derbyshire (BGS).
- <4> SDR16407 Article in monograph: Rieuwerts, J. 1987. History & Gazetteer of the Lead Mine Soughs of Derbyshire.
- <5> SDR18122 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2000. Scheduling Notification: Slitherstone and Linacre lead mines and a limekiln 725m south-west of Rowter Farm. 29963. SMR Cat. No.469.
- <6> SDR19856 Unpublished document: Bevan, B & Sidebottom, P (PDNPA). 1995. Rowter Farm, Castleton & Woodside Farm, Oxlow End, Peak Forest, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 1995. pp 13-15.
- <7> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. Site 9, pp 16-19.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 128 816 (767m by 483m)|
|Civil Parish||CASTLETON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 23 2015 1:44PM