Site record MDR22873 - Site of Dew Pond, Southwest of Former National Girls School, Church Street, Ashover
Type and Period (1)
- DEWPOND (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1898 AD? to 2000 AD?)
- None recorded
The feature is not shown on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880, and first appears on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of 1898. It continues to be shown on the 3rd edition 25" OS map of 1917, the most recent, readily available historic map for this particular area, and went out of use at some time between then and now. The remains of a dew pond were recorded during an evaluation carried out in 2017 just southwest of the former National Girls School, Church Street, Ashover. 'Within the construction cut, a layer of lime was initially laid down, to discourage root and worm penetration from below. A layer of puddled clay was then laid down to act as both bedding for the overlying cobbles and to act as a watertight lining of the dew-pond. The cobbles were laid over the clay to provide a solid base in the pond to allow livestock to drink without damaging the overall structure. At a later date it is likely the concrete layer was laid over the cobbles to improve water retention in the pond by reducing leakage. The presence of 19th century ceramics in the clay bedding layer has helped guide this interpretation.' (1)
- <1> SDR24067 Unpublished document: Cobbold, T (ARS Ltd). 2017. The Old Rectory, Church Street, Ashover, Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||SK 3490 6311 (point)|
|Civil Parish||ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 7 2020 4:15PM