Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR22884 - Estate House, Cedar End and North Side, East of Hockley Lane, Wingerworth

Type and Period (2)

  • (Georgian to Early 20th Century - 1729 AD to 1924 AD?)
  • (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1924 AD? to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Estate House, Cedar End and North Side, previously part of the former Wingerworth Hall, east of Hockley Lane, Wingerworth, built in 1729. From the National Heritage List for England: 'This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/08/2018 SK36NE 1264-0/6/148 WINGERWORTH WINGERWORTH HALL ESTATE Estate House, Cedar End and Northside (Formerly listed as Estate House and Cedar End, LONGEDGE LANE, previously listed as: WINGERWORTH PARK Estate House, North Side, The Hollies, The Yews, East View) 31/01/67 GV II Part of country house, now flats. One of two surviving service wings of Wingerworth Hall, which was completed in 1729 and demolished 1924-1927, and was possibly by Francis Smith of Warwick. South facade of gritstone ashlar, with squared coursed Coal Measures Sandstone with ashlar dressings used for the sides and rear. Leaded roof behind parapet. Two ashlar chimney caps visible. The main part of the south facade is of two storeys and seven bays, with chamfered quoins and with a plain band below a parapet with coping. The windows are glazing bar sashes in architraves with bracketed sills. The ground-floor windows have round heads with keystones and impost blocks. The central window on the ground floor was formerly a doorway and has a rusticated surround. The present doorway, to its right, was formerly a window: the sill has been lowered and external stone steps added. Set back to the left is a lower two-storey two-bay wing in a similar style, said to be built in the 1920s re-using C18 stonework. It has glazing bar sash windows, and in its right-hand bay there is a partly glazed door within an architrave. The east wall is of three bays and has mullioned and transomed cross windows with architraves, except for the outer bay on the ground floor where mullions and transoms have been removed. The windows of the left-hand bay are blind. The north wall has two bays at the left projecting forwards. To the right are four bays with a doorway in their left-hand bay. The windows have architraves. On the ground floor there are C20 casements, but the first floor windows retain their mullions and transoms. The door is of six raised and fielded panels with an overlight and the architrave has a keystone. Listing NGR: SK3837667373.' (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.



Grid reference SK 38376 67373 (point)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 18 2024 2:43PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.