Site record MDR22902 - Site of Structure, near St Giles's Church, Church Street, Matlock Town

Type and Period (1)

  • ? (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1900 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

During a watching brief carried out over the excavation of a cable trench in 2006, the following feature was recorded: 'This consisted of a linear arrangement of placed sandstone blocks, the largest of which measured 0.46m in length, 0.22m in width and 0.19m, in depth. To the west of these stones was an area of levelled ground which consisted of a dark brown deposit containing small pieces of coal, brick and Victorian pottery. The feature has a width of 6.95m and was bounded to the rear by the natural limestone bedrock which rose close to tarmac surface. The feature can best be interpreted as the remains of a structure of uncertain date but probably dating to the Victorian period in view of the nature of the pottery and the presence of coal.' (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Chatterton, R (ARS Ltd). 2006. St. Giles Church, Matlock: Watching Brief Report. 6.

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 3000 5974 (point)
Civil Parish MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR2618

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 27 2020 8:46PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.