Building record MDR22920 - Glass Store, County Hall, Smedley Street, Matlock Town
Type and Period (4)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1885 AD? to 1950 AD?)
- HYDROPATHIC INSTITUTE (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1885 AD? to 1950 AD?)
- WELL (Victorian to 21st Century - 1885 AD? to 2050 AD)
- BUILDING (Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1950 AD? to 2050 AD)
The Glass Store at County Hall is the surviving remains of a basement level room that was probably associated with George Statham's addition to Smedley's Hydro in c1885. 'The room is largely constructed of roughly-coursed rubble masonry but has a dressed stone external elevation of un-reinforced concrete, but there is evidence it was original [sic] stone flagged. The ceiling comprises steel beams with concrete fillers and is in poor condition. The room contains a large well with surviving remains of a belt-driven water pump that can be dated on stylistic grounds to between 1880 and 1920. No evidence of the engine that would have powered this water pump was recorded during the survey.' (1) A photographic record was made as part of this survey. (1)
- <1> SDR24126 Unpublished document: Eadie, G (ARS Ltd). 2013. The Glass Store, County Hall, Matlock: Archaeological Building Recording.
|Grid reference||SK 3008 6065 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MATLOCK TOWN, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 10 2022 1:25PM