(Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1880 AD? to 1960 AD?)
Loading documents & images
Bakewell Town Hall is a building comprised of meeting rooms and offices built around a small internal courtyard. Before the last quarter of the 19th century, the old Market Hall served as the town hall. By the 1880s the recently introduced systems of local government and policing meant that there was a need for a building incorporating a council chamber, a public assembly room, a magistrate's court and holding cells. The Duke of Rutland agreed to demolish a row of derelict buildings facing Anchor Square and donate the site, while the town's freemasons agreed to provide funds. The foundation stone for the town hall was laid in August 1889. (1)
Unpublished document: Marshall, B (ARS Ltd). 2010. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Bakewell Town Hall, Bakewell, Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 21802 68578 (point)
BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2020 2:23PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.