Human Remains, sword and ring, Dale Inn, A619, Whitwell, of unknown date.
A cross is shown in the centre of the road outside the Dale Inn on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880, labelled 'Human Remains, Swords &c found.'
According to the Whitwell Local History Group: 'The Dale Inn was built in 1840 by Thomas Ellis, who also built the farm and cottage at Wood Nook, two rows of houses on Whitwell Common, the Reading Room, Cliff Cottage and the house which stood opposite to the Whitwell Post Office. His father, Thomas Ellis (1728-1809) was for 30 years 'Messenger of the Grand Chamber in Ordinary to His Majesty'. The son of landlord Thomas was killed in the First World War; his name appears on both Whitwell and Harthill war memorials. George C. Blagg was the landlord in 1896, before moving to the George Inn. The Dale Inn was also a staging post for stagecoaches on the turnpike road. When the foundations for the building were dug, a skeleton, a ring and a sword were found. The sword was eventually handed to Canon Mason for inclusion in a proposed village museum. Before gas was laid on, the premises were lit by carbide. Pigeon shoots used to be staged there at one time - using live pigeons. ‘The Dale’ closed in December 1994 and the building is now a private residence.' (1)
Website: Whitwell Local History Group.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 5159 7704 (point)
WHITWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 8 2019 4:23PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.