Building record MDR23062 - No. 71 Market Street, Former Drill Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (2)
(Mid 20th Century to 21st Century - 1950 AD? to 2050 AD)
(Mid 20th Century - 1938 AD to 1950 AD?)
Loading documents & images
No. 71 Market Street, former Drill Hall, Chapel-en-le-Frith, built in 1938.
Following the demolition of an earlier Drill Hall on the site (MDR23061), a new smaller Drill Hall was built at what is now No. 71 Market Street. '…In 1937 there was a significant change as the Sherwood Foresters became the 40th (Sherwood Foresters) Anti-Aircraft Battalion, Royal Engineers. This change from Infantry to Royal Engineers necessitated a substantial building programme of 21 training centres. Buxton gained a new and larger Drill Hall and took over the administrative and recruitment role… Chapel en le Frith had a new and smaller Drill Hall as part of the scheme, it was an outstation which would accommodate a garage for one lorry, a lecture room, a store room and ground for training. …The new Drill Hall opened in 1938 and remains on the site to this day, it was once home to estate agent J Weaving with its current role as a barbers.' (1)
Unpublished document: McCormick, E. 2019. The Rifle Ranges of the Town of Chapel-en-le-Frith.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.