Listed Building record MDR23072 - Barn West of No. 83 London Road, Shardlow and Great Wilne
Type and Period (5)
- THRESHING BARN (Georgian to Victorian - 1766 AD? to 1850 AD?)
- BARN (Victorian to 21st Century - 1850 AD? to 2018 AD?)
- CART SHED (Victorian to 21st Century - 1850 AD? to 2018 AD?)
- COW HOUSE (Victorian to 21st Century - 1850 AD? to 2018 AD?)
- HOUSE (21st Century - 2018 AD? to 2050 AD)
Barn west of No. 83 London Road, Shardlow and Great Wilne, an 18th century building. The building was subject to an historic building recording in 2018, and map regression demonstrated that the earliest available map on which it appeared dates to 1766. The results of the survey confirmed that the surviving elements date to the mid 18th century when it was an off centre threshing barn. In the early 19th century it was remodelled to include pitching holes and a new cart entrance. In the late 19th century a shippon was added to the west. (1) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 43 SW PARISH OF SHARDLOW AND GREAT WILNE LONDON ROAD 2/192 (North Side) Barn and Cowshed 14.3.75 to West of 83 London Road GV II Threshing barn and attached cowshed. Late C18, altered in early C19 and with minor C20 alterations. Red brick with plinth and gauged brick dressings to barn. Plain tile roof with sawtooth eaves band to barn and open timbers to cowshed. Barn, two storeys and three bays, cowshed, single storey and six bays. Barn to north has original full height off-centre opening, now partly filled in with early C19 segmental arch on stone impost blocks. To either side there are rows of slit breathers and above three early C19 circular pitching holes. South gable wall has four lines of breathers, but north gable wall has full height C20 opening. Attached to south is the cowshed which has five brick columns supporting the roof to the front and brick wall behind with troughs attached. Included for group value only. Listing NGR: SK4346630451.' (2)
- <1> SDR24404 Unpublished document: Hurford, M. 2018. Barn to the West of 83 London Road, Shardlow, Derbyshire: Historic Building Recording.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1088367.
|Grid reference||SK 43466 30451 (point)|
|Civil Parish||SHARDLOW AND GREAT WILNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2020 3:11PM