(Victorian to 21st Century - 1900 AD? to 2005 AD?)
Loading documents & images
Building D at Hurdlow Grange, Hartington Middle Quarter, a mid to late 19th century outbuilding.
A photographic and written record of four of the six then-standing outbuildings, in addition to a watching brief, was carried out in 2005 prior to their redevelopment into residential units. Building D: '…was constructed between 1804 and 1879 [it is not shown on the enclosure map of 1804 and first appears on the 25" OS map of 1879] and was in a ruinous state prior to this development, having had no roof for some time. The building had been utilised most recently as a shippon with concrete floor and stalls. However, evidence was apparent that the building had been used originally for human inhabitation and that it originally had been two storeys. Evidence of the original use as a cottage can be seen in the fireplace which is clearly evidence in the north gable at first floor level. …the northern ground floor window in the east wall of which only the lower half survives. It is clear that this window was created by the infilling of the original door opening which, measuring 1.12m wide would have been too narrow for cattle …and is typical size of a cottage doorway. The wider doorway, 1.34m wide, in the centre of the eastern wall of the building is a later insertion, probably introduced when the cottage was converted into a shippon. …at the same time as the conversion of Building D into a shippon was the insertion at first floor level of a hayloft door in the south wall gable end…' (1)
An earlier survey carried out in 1994 discussed the former farm as a whole: 'The complex is comprised of a 19th century farmhouse and six outbuildings [four of them of historical significance]. These are abutted by several modern elements which in part obscure external detail of the stone buildings. The house is a plain, two storey, T-shaped building with 19th century detailing. This is confirmed by 19th century maps. The outbuildings also have 19th century details. A map from 1804 indicates a building which has been demolished between 1804 and 1879. The present farm buildings were largely present by 1879, but appear to have been rebuilt between the 1840 and 1879 Ordnance Survey maps. The only building which survived this remodelling was the barn, although this underwent external remodelling in the 19th century. In 1804, the largest building was the barn, which was C-shaped and it is unclear if this was the house or an outbuilding. This building was not checked during the survey in 1994 as there was no opportunity for inspection.' (2)
Unpublished document: Chatterton, R (ARS Ltd). 2005. Hurdlow Grange, Hartington Middle Quarter, Derbyshire: Watching Brief and Archaeological Building Survey. 18-19.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.