The Hayes Conference Centre, off Hayes Lane, Swanwick, a former house built in 1867.
The original house was built in 1867 by Francis Wright of the Butterley Company for his son Fitzherbert. The two storey L-shaped stone building had enclosed stables to the north, farm buildings some distance to the west and glass houses with an enclosed garden to the south. The 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880 also shows a gate lodge to the north. It had been extended by the time plans dating to 1895 were produced, and again c1900. In 1910 the property was sold to the First Conference Estate Ltd and became the first Christian Conference Centre in England. During the First World War the house was requisitioned and used as an army barracks. During the Second World War, the property was again used, this time as a prisoner of wart camp for Germans and Italians, and Franz Von Warra, a pilot, escaped from the facility by means of a tunnel that a group of prisoners excavated, being the only person to escape from English PPOW camps twice. Elsewhere on the property, it was also used as a girls' school for children evacuated from London. IT continues to operate as a Christian Conference Centre. (1)
Unpublished document: Martyn, K and L Catt (Donald Insall Associates). 2019. The Hayes Conference Centre, Swanwick, Derbyshire: Pre-application Historic Building Report.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 40997 52663 (point)
SWANWICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2020 5:25PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.