There is the base and part of a 13th century cross shaft in a field on the high ground to the south of Hope Church. (1)
The remains of a cross formerly stood 455m south-south-east of Hope Church, at the summit of the hill between Hope and Bradwell and immediately within the field on the east side of the road between the two villages. It was moved to Hope churchyard in 1966, as per a report in the Sheffield 'Morning Telegraph', 20/6/1966. (2)
The wayside cross in Hope churchyard, known as Eccles Cross [see SMR 8158] is believed to be the cross which formerly stood on high ground c. 500m south east of the churchyard, next to the lane past Eccles House Farm. The name 'Eccles' indicates that the cross was related to the church and, in its original location, it is believed to have marked the intersection of medieval trackways leading to the church from Bradwell in the south and Brough in the east. It is recorded as being of 13th century date and was removed to the churchyard in 1966. (4)
Article in serial: Cox, J C. 1904. 'Early crosses in the High Peak', The Athenaeum. No 4002. p 57.
Index: Preston, F L. 1956. Transcript Hunter Index. No.2, F/88.
Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1994. Scheduling Notification: Wayside Cross known as Eccles Cross.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 1738 8302 (point) (Centre)
HOPE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 17 2015 4:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.