Manor Farm Cottage, East of B6039, Ault Hucknall, built largely in 1730 with a 17th century part.
From the National Heritage List for England:
'House dating to 1730 with an earlier wing of probable C17 date.
MATERIALS: coursed coal measure sandstone, locally quarried, and a slate roof covering with red brick chimney stacks.
PLAN: the south-facing house has an approximately rectangular plan consisting of an C18 front range with a short, earlier cross wing.
The entrance porch, extensions on the east and west ends, and conservatory, all of late C20 date, do not contribute to the architectural quality of the original design.
EXTERIOR: the original two-storey C18 house has three bays and a shallow pitched roof with red brick chimney stacks at the gable ends. The central six-panelled front door and its surround are of late C20 date. It is flanked by eight-over-eight pane sash windows which, along with the first-floor sash windows and their sills and lintels, are also of late C20 date. A late C20 gabled entrance porch projects from the west end of the façade. Adjoining the west gable end is a single-storey projection, thought to possibly have been a dairy or laundry. Adjoining the east gable end is a slightly set back, late C20, two-bay extension of two storeys which is in a similar style to the original house. A conservatory is attached to the east gable end.
At the rear of the house are three gabled cross wings, the outer ones being the late C20 extensions. The central wing, which is the oldest part of the house, is one and a half storeys high. It has large stone quoins and a steeply pitched roof with a red brick chimney stack at the gable end, and a skylight on the west slope. The east side is lit at ground-floor level by a two-light mullioned window which has a chamfered central mullion and a tooled surround. There is a blocked up mullion in the gable end. INTERIOR: the front door opens into a small hall with a rear straight flight stair. The rooms either side have chamfered bridging beams with simple moulded chamfer stops and joists which retain remnants of a white/ beige paint. The room in the first bay (to the left of the hall) has a wide plain stone chimneypiece, with carved console jambs, now fitted with an Aga. On the south wall is a built-in cupboard with raised and fielded panels and H-hinges. The room in the third bay has a simple stone fireplace with a plain mantelshelf and jambs, and to the left a small square opening framed in stone. On the ground floor the C18 two-panelled doors retain strap hinges and their original frames which have a roll moulding. The single-storey room adjoining the first bay, now a fitted kitchen, is thought to have been a dairy or laundry and it retains a roughly chamfered bridging beam with hooks. On the first floor the roof purlins are exposed. In the rear wing, there is a plain stone fireplace with a mantelshelf supported by roughly consoled stones at the top of the jambs. On the first floor the wooden doorframe into the cross wing survives, as do the truncated purlins which were sawn through to make way for the C18 range. Underneath the cross wing is a cellar with a bow-shaped ceiling.'