Former site of a wall between Seven Stars Public House and former No. 71 King Street (now No. 85 King Street), built c1852.
'The boundary wall marked the south side of the yard belonging to the Seven Stars Public House, a building dated 1680 and substantially of that date. The public house first appears in the cartographic record on Burdett's map of 1767, with the southern side of its yard clearly marked, although not following the later configuration of the recorded wall. This boundary is not depicted on Moneypenny's 1791 map nor on Rogerson's map of 1819, but the line of the wall appears to have been established by 1852 when it appeared on the Board of Health map with ranges of buildings linking its northern side, a situation that continued into the middle of the 20th century. From 1852 onwards the boundary wall followed a southwest to northeast line up to about its mid point when it abruptly changed direction to take a more easterly direction. In 1901 an application was made to erect a new stabling with a hayloft within the Seven Stars' yard, and a cottage fronting onto King Street, both against the boundary wall…' The wall was surveyed and recorded in 2009 prior to its demolition. (1)
Unpublished document: Hislop, M (Birmingham Archaeology). 2009. Connecting Derby, Archaeological Building Recording: Stage 3, 2009.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3497 3677 (31m by 26m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2020 4:54PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.