The Old Rectory, east of St Andrew's Chruch, Cubley, originally a mid-18th century building.
'The house, which is no longer a vicarage, may well have had earlier origins. The church is said to date from the 12th century. The earliest recorded vicar is named in a 16th century document and there is a reference to a 3-bayed parsonage in a document of 1679. The building mentioned in 1679 was probably a timber-framed dwelling and of post-medieval or of medieval origin. The same document indicates that in 1679 the vicar had a smallholding, to augment his living. At some point in the 18th century a brick wing was added to the southwest. In 1820-21 the vicarage was extensively remodeled and a new range added to the south. The building seems to have undergone further remodelling in the 1840s, and the building shown on the OS 1st edition, of 1881, occupies more of less the same footprint as the current building. A part of the structure also seems to have been a part of a timber framed structure.' (1)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 13 NE PARISH OF CUBLEY CHURCH LANE 5/21 (East Side) The Old Rectory GV II
Vicarage, now house. Mid C18 with substantial early C19 and late C19 additions. Red brick in Flemish bond with gauged brick, ordinary brick and stone dressings. Plain tile roofs, hipped to early C19 section, with brick gable end stacks to mid C18 part and brick ridge stacks to other parts. Dentilled brick eaves band to all sections. Four bay mid C18 house with two bay early C19 addition to south and five bay late C19 addition to north, all parts two storeys. Mid C18 house to west with four segment headed-wooden cross windows under cambered gauged brick heads and four similar windows above. Doorcase in.early C19 section, recessed to south, with early C19 glazed panelled door, re-used mid C18 pilasters to sides and bell canted leaded porch roof over. Above a glazing bar sash under a flat arch. South elevation has large canted bay window to east with central glazed door and glazing bar sashes, also under flat heads, to either side. To west, another sash. Above, similar windows in same arrangement. Late C19 addition to north has 3-light casement windows under segment brick heads . Interior has plain early C19 staircase and a fine Adam style fireplace to south-east room.
Listing NGR: SK1656037715.'
Unpublished document: Barter, M. 2019. The Old Rectory, Cubley, Derbyshire: Statement of Heritage Significance and Impact.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1109786?section=official-list-entry.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 16560 37715 (point)
CUBLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 3 2023 7:22PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.