Site record MDR23201 - Site of Farmhouse and Outbuildings, off Blind Lane, Old Bolsover

Type and Period (2)

  • (Victorian to First World War - 1880 AD? to 1914 AD?)
  • (Victorian to First World War - 1880 AD? to 1914 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Former site of farmhouse and outbuildings, off Blind Lane, Old Bolsover, a 19th century complex. The farm, comprised of a large U-shaped building, a large L-shaped building and two smaller rectangular buildings is shown on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880 but is not labelled. During an evaluation carried out in 2015, the well-preserved remains of most of these buildings were uncovered below a relatively insubstantial layer of demolition rubble. The remains of a cellar belonging to the house, which had been subdivided at one point in its history, was recorded. '…Where possible to observe, the structures, again particularly within Trench 4 in what is considered to be the main farmhouse dwelling, were of fairly high status, with thick sandstone walls and mullioned windows. The features within Cellar 2, including numerous shelves and a large larder structure, indicate that this space was used for the storage of food. The vast majority of ceramic and glass artefacts within the backfill of Cellar 2 date to the 19th to early 20th centuries and relate to the final phase of use of this building. The farm structures within Trench 2 were also found to survive well, although the purpose of these buildings is less clear. The quantity of domestic finds (pottery, glass bottles, etc.) within the Trench 2 compared to Trench 4 was extremely scarce, indicating that the buildings are unlikely to have been domestic and are probably part of a range of barns and sheds.' (1) It is not known when the complex was demolished, but it is still shown on the 3rd edition 25" OS map of 1914. Further recording was carried out in 2020. This identified the farmstead, was much as shown on the 1st edition OS map. The building to the southeast of the farmstead was the farmhouse. This was 'L'-shaped in plan, with two cellars and on the groundfloor 4 rooms and 2 'halls' (i.e. corridors.). There were two small outbuildings, one close to the east of the farmhouse and one some distance to the north. The main argicultural buildings were in a 'U'-shaped range of buildings to the northwest of farmhouse [not to the northeast as stated in the report] which the excavators believed to have included a barn. Unfortunately the excavators were unable to determine the date of origin of the farmstead, only to trace the 19th and 20th development of the farm. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Strafford, L (ArcHeritage). 2019. Blind Lane, Bolsover, Derbyshire: Archaeological Evaluation.
  • <2> Unpublished document: Jackson, R (ArcHeritage). 2020. Blind Lane, Bolsover: Archaeological Mitigation Assessment Report.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4655 7143 (64m by 49m)
Civil Parish OLD BOLSOVER, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR5157
  • EDR5007

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 9 2020 12:35PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.