The Manor, Main Street, Winster, a mid 18th century building.
An L-shaped building or group of buildings is shown on the earliest map available for this area, dating to 1769. By the time of the 1st edition 25" OS map of c1880 a building matching the footprint of the extant Manor is shown.
Based on documentary evidence: '...The Manor was owned and occupied in the 18 and 19 centuries by a well-known County family, Carill-Worsley, ...It is recorded that Charles Carill-Worsley sold timber and minerals, because their interests and properties were mainly in Rusholme, Manchester. Thomas Carill–Worsley of Platt Hall, Manchester had married Elizabeth Norman of Winster. They had five children… Charles (born 1800 in Platt Hall died 1864), the second son, married Mary in 1840 and the property was divided into two tenements of which one was occupied by Charles and his wife and the other by Elizabeth and Helen, his siblings. This was part of a settlement (of Thomas Carill-Worsley deceased) and following his
widow’s death in 1833. On Helen’s marriage in 1843 her husband (Mr Norman) came to live there. On the death of Thomas (the eldest son) in 1848 Charles inherited The Manor but moved out and Helen and her husband lived in Charles’s part of the property. “But the house at Winster has never been let to a tenant except for a few months in 1849, when it was let furnished. After the mother’s death in 1833, it was occupied by Charles, Elizabeth and Helen (siblings)” - from the Settlement. In 1864 Helen died and in 1866 Mr Norman married again and moved out leaving the whole house to Elizabeth until her death in 1881 although the ownership of the property remained between the four siblings. Charles and Mary had a daughter Elizabeth (1857-1925). Elizabeth married Nicolas Tindal, who took the name Tindal–Carill–Worsley. Elizabeth, still recorded as of Platt Hall and Winster, was mother to Commander Ralph Tindal-Carill-Worsle (1878- 1966), the top officer in the Royal Navy. … Family disputes lead to a Case for the Opinion of Counsel being sought in 1881 in the matter of the shares of Henry A. Norman (Helen’s husband) and a daughter in the matter of hereditaments in Winster. The Parochial Magazine of January 1897 recorded the property as “being an old town seat of an old county family, the
Worsleys, but now the residence of Mrs Childers Thompson and H. A. Norman Esq.” The property was sold in 1926. A supplementary abstract of 1927 described the property “as a dwelling house (known as Winster House at this time) and formerly two messuages or dwelling houses together with outbuildings, gardens in the occupation of Helen Isabella Thompson, at the date of her death and now vacant. This was formerly the sole freehold of Charles Carill–Worsley”.' (1)
Following that sale, Harry Fengel from Winster ran the property as 'The Rendezvous at the Manor,' a private hotel and club rumoured to be of ill repute. Later the Thornton family owned the property and while there a three-year old child of theirs drowned in the lily pond. (1)
In 1953 the property became the Newstead Care Home, which went into administration and was sold in 2009. In 2019 it was proposed that the then empty building converted into four private dwellings. (1)
The building was subject to an historic assessment which included a photographic survey, where it was found that the original construction was also comprised of separate dwellings. (1)