Monument record MDR2324 - Cist burial, Netherside, Bradwell
Type and Period (2)
- INHUMATION (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- CIST (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- None recorded
SK 1734 8126 : Bradwell, Cist burial, iron spearhead, coin: Covered cist of sandstone and limestone flags, three feet by two feet wide and two feet deep, immediately beneath the turf found in 1897 in digging foundations for a house (now a drapery store) in Nether Side, opposite the Newburgh Arms Inn. The cist contained a male inhumation, socketed iron spearhead; a leaden spindle-whorl decorated with five raised pellets, and a copper button, decorated with hollows filled with gold, with a small ring at the back; all in Buxton Museum. A Roman coin said to have been found with the above is now lost. (2, 4, 5) Near the Burgher's Arms Inn, in 1897, a sepulchral cist of gritstone slabs, containing male adult bones, a lead 'spindle whorl', an iron spearhead, a copper button and (according to one account) a Roman coin, since lost. The whorl does not appear Roman. (3) The original accounts of this cist burial give no indication that’s it was ever covered by a barrow. (9)
- <1> SDR13625 Article in serial: Salt, W H. 1898. Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Notes. Vol.6.
- <2> SDR16220 Article in serial: Ward, J. 1899. 'Roman remains at Bradwell', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 21. p 4.
- <3> SDR15994 Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. 'Romano-British Derbyshire', in Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Vol 1. pp 254-255.
- <4> SDR6022 Bibliographic reference: Evans, S. 1912. Bradwell Ancient & Modern. p 3.
- <5> SDR7334 Index: 1957. Hunter Index, Addendum (inf. C.R. Furness).
- <6> SDR6070 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 08-SEP-65.
- <7> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 23.
- <8> SDR14339 Index: NDAT. 0396.
- <9> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 3:A.
|Grid reference||SK 1733 8125 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BRADWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2015 11:56AM